Sunday, March 26, 2017

Chocolat Chaud, Abuelita Style

I don't know about you, but I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and chocolate is my absolute favourite. I've heard of some crazy people who don't like it, but none of them live in our house! A short while ago, a new Chinese-Mexican food market opened up in a plaza within walking distance of us, I'll admit, I found this combination a bit different, but who am I to poopoo two of my most liked food styles married together? I mean hello! Taquitos and Dimsum under one roof? I'm IN!!! 

Not only do they have a hot foods restau section, but are stocked with delicious condiments, foods, drinks and teas of all sorts you can take home and enjoy. Lo and behold, as I was perusing the shelves, I stumbled on the unmistakable yellow packaging of Abuelita hot chocolate. (sadly, I've yet to source it on a Canadian site, but I wonder if they'd carry it in specialty shoppes, like the one I found it at) OMG! If you've never tasted this stuff, do yourself a favour and go find some! Some might find it a slightly acquired flavour, because it has an added little je-ne-sais-quoi added to it, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it tastes like cinnamon to me. At any rate, we all love it, so when the kids see me pull out my little chocolate pot out (Total thrift store score. It might actually be a vintage gravy pot, but it works for so many different uses, that when they see it, it's the chocolate pot LOL!), they know what's coming. 

It's become a bit of a ritual, where everyone likes to gather around the stove, and watch the process of the big sugary chocolate puck dropping into the pot, and melting as I stir with the mini ladle.





Isn't it pretty? Oh and it smells heavenly! Chocolatey and spicy at the same time. I love that you can see the large sugar crystals sitting on the surface.

Now, you certainly don't need a special pot to make this in, you could use any small sauce pan you have on hand, or if you need to, you could use a large glass 4-cup measuring cup in a microwave. Here I filled my little pot with about 2.5 cups of water, which I brought to a slow boil; you don't want this to bubble over, or else the bottom of the pot gets too hot, and the puck will burn to the bottom a bit, so when you start seeing the water rolling on the top, bring the heat down to low-medium.

Plouc! 

Look at that little nugget, she just has to see absolutely everything! 
I have to hold her back so she won't get too close and burn herself. 
You should see these kids when I'm making pancakes! Ha! Ha! ha!!!

 

Mmmmm! Mmmmmm! This is gonna be gooooooood!!!

The narrow spout makes pouring a little messy, but hey, who care, nothing a little wipe from a cloth won't fix, am I right? ;)


I mix in a little bit of almond milk in before serving, as it makes just a bit cooler for the kids, who simply don't have the patience to wait for it to cool.
So there you have it, a bit more involved than just stirring some ready-made powder in your cup, but man, is it worth it! 

Tell me, what is your favourite treat to share with your littles? What treat do you enjoy that brings back memories from your own childhood? 
Let me know if you try this, and what you think of it. 

TTFN Dolls!

Jules




No comments:

Post a Comment